Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2017

My Nintendo NYC Switch Event Impressions

Okay, so first, let me get this out of the way right now.

PUYO PUYO TETRIS LOCALIZATION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED AND IT WAS PLAYABLE AT THE EVENT AND I RECORDED SOME FOOTAGE AND OH MY GOD THEY'RE RELEASING PUYO PUYO TETRIS IN THE WEST AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Anyway, yeah, I was invited to a Nintendo Switch preview event for My Nintendo members in New York City yesterday, so here are my thoughts:

  • Puyo Puyo Tetris was the very first thing I played. NO, I DON'T HAVE A PUYO OBSESSION, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! 
    • Anyway, Sig's voice in English is noticeably deeper than his Japanese voice. Apparently there will be no dual audio, which I imagine is probably down to licensing issues. Sega localization producer Sam Mullen has not said anything on the matter aside from "Don't you all already own the JP version?", which is a bit ridiculous, but whatever.
  • The Splatoon 2 Demo Version certainly felt a lot like a sequel. It is difficult to put into words what I meant. I had by far my best performance with the Splat Roller, which I am somewhat ashamed of.
  • ARMS is really good, more than many people were probably expecting. There is a surprising level of depth to the mechanics, and plenty of character variety. I heard a staff member say that a Pro Controller can be used in the actual game, and while the motion controls worked quite well for me, there are definitely people who will not be able to use motion controls, so this is good.
  • Snipperclips froze at one point while I was demoing it, but I can forgive this as it is a WIP build. There were plenty of good ideas on display, with every non-tutorial level having distinct goals, such as one where you need to get a basketball through a hoop, one where you need to pop balloons, and one in which you guide a wheel along a railing to a car.
  • The Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild had a queue to play it, a sensible move on the part of the event organizers. I wasted time by dying twice, once against some Bokoblins, and once when I jumped down from the tower once you put the Sheikah Slate in the thingy. On my second attempt to get down from the tower, I used the more sensible method of using the "Let Go" command and re-grabbing the wall repeatedly. Ultimately, I failed to finish the first shrine.
  • I played Studiopolis Zone Act 1 in Sonic Mania
  • I played battle mode in Super Bomberman R. I am a bit iffy on the "in-game currency" thing, especially since this is Konami.
  • I played a bit of Ultra Street Fighter 2. My knowledge of Street Fighter in general is sadly limited.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is certainly Mario Kart 8 with new characters and a battle mode.
  • I did not get around to playing 1-2-Switch, FAST RMX, Just Dance 2017, Skylanders Imaginators, Has Been Heroes, or Disgaea 5 Complete.
There was an ARMS tournament near the end. I took part in it and got second place.
I got this Toon Link plushie for winning the first round
.

This cap was the consolation prize for losing the Finals. The winner got a Zelda messenger bag.

Also, a pin and a cookie were handed out to anyone who left.
The cookie was just okay, for the record.

The event was great overall!

No comments:

Post a Comment